Body shaming is a social stigma.
Social stigma is the extreme disapproval of a person or group on socially characteristic grounds. These are perceived, and serve to distinguish them, from other members of a society. Stigma may then be affixed to such a person, by the greater society, who differs from their cultural norms.
There is a lot of social stigma in different culture but the most popular across the board is body shaming.
We live in a world where the culturally acceptable or beautiful are what is shown by the media.
WHAT IS BODY SHAMING?
Body shaming is the action or practice of expressing humiliation about another individual’s body shape or size. This is a form of bullying that can result in severe emotional trauma, especially at a young age.
This has been an issue across age brackets. It is a chronic belief that one is failing the social norms of what is beautiful or acceptable. And this can contribute to depression.
Body shaming is an especially painful, powerful and distressing. And—when internalized—can lead to a more grave social or emotional negativity.
Body-shaming manifests in many ways:
- Criticizing your own appearance, through a judgment or comparison to another person.
- Condemn another’s appearance in front of them
- Finding fault at another’s appearance without their knowledge.
WHAT IS THE IMPACT OF WEIGHT STIGMA?
This issue have caused few emotional and social problems. Body shaming can cause emotional trauma or social incapability. This action does not necessarily resolve or push the person to lose weight. In fact, there are more people who take this negatively hence the negative outlook in life.
Those who experience weight-based stigmatization also:
- Engage in more frequent binge eating
- Increased risk for eating disorder symptoms
- More likely to have a diagnosis for binge eating disorder
HOW CAN WE STOP WEIGHT SHAMING?
- Stop self-talk that puts down your body.
- Comment upon self-talk you hear from friends, family and co-workers.
- Communicate to the editor of the paper if they say something unkind (and untrue) about people of higher weight.
- Have a clear understanding of the complex issue of weight, weight loss, and weight regain.
- Learn more about how fat stigma can hurt you and others.
- Love your body and try to be healthy
We must not let body shaming happen without acting or reacting the right way. If don’t do something about it, we are then just simply allowing this stigma to win over our culture.
Weight must not be a reason to put people down instead we must help each other live well and confident. Love your body!
Love your body and don’t be a victim of body shaming! know how to achieve your weight goal or simply gain confidence…I can help you. Reach out to me for a free consultation! Click below and let’s talk about this stigma.
[button_4 border=”rounded” size=”large” color=”lightgreen” align=”center” href=”https://www.wellnessmethods.com/fastaction/” new_window=”Y”]FREE CONSULTATION[/button_4]